Clearly someone is misinformed when it comes to Celiac Disease...

Monday, February 13, 2012 AnnMarie Brown 1 Comments

I spent some time this morning reading the February edition of the Central Celiac Newsletter. I love reading their newsletter to get new recipes and see what is happening in the world of Celiac since my daughter diagnosis late last year.

They have an awesome recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins that I plan on making for Valentine's Day dinner tomorrow night.


You can check out the recipe here:


Now back to what brings me to this blog today... There is a Q&A section and this month it is with Dean McDermott of Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood who was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year and a half ago. Dean says that he is on the lower end of the spectrum of Celiac; well my knowledge of Celiac is that it is not a spectrum disorder. He further explains that his doctor is not concerned if he eats gluten. Dean is planning on opening a Gluten Free restaurant which in my opinion we don't have enough of but I am concerned that with his lack of knowledge in his own diagnosis might lead to the restaurant not being gluten free.

I will say that there is a note in the article that is is best to be 100% gluten free once diagnosed but really in thinking I think it was a bit irresponsible to print the article. I do realize that most people have these misconceptions when it comes to Celiac Disease.

Stepping off my soapbox now!

1 comment:

  1. My mom was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 25 year ago. You are right there is not a spectrum to it. You either are or your aren't.

    I'm afraid Mr.McDermott needs to get the right education before venturing into the gluten free world of cooking for the masses or he may very well unintentionally make lots of people very ill.

    By the way those muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete